The PhD journey has ended... : (

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Cadangan penyelidikan

It all started somewhere in May 2007. The 14-weeks classes have just ended. A three-week exam sessions are about to start. Therefore, I try to make use of this time to start preparing for my PhD dissertation proposal.

I've decided that my field of study will be in internal auditing/corporate governance. Why??? Well thanks to AUD 571, an Internal Auditing paper that I've taught for quite some time now. Initially I'm quite hesitant to teach such a purely dry theory paper.But some how I try to cajole myself, thinking that some good things will turn up eventually. And voila.... after teaching the paper for 4 semester ... an idea came up for my proposal!!

Anyhow, things doesn't come so easily for me. Though I managed to think of the exact area of my study, but just to think about a suitable topic to start with, the methodology of the study i.e., sample selection, the need to formulate a theoretical framework, to identify suitable theories underpinning the research etc2....is really exhausting!!!!

I do have experience in writing up academic papers previously, I have two of my works published in a refereed journal, and I have presented papers in various avenues internationally as well as at national conferences.

But this time around my intended study requires a different set of approach.

Different???? Yup... first, it's a survey type of research requiring the use of questionnaire (it's my first time using this approach actually) and second, I really need to answer the BIG question - "do my study fill in the gap of knowledge?" ( it's PhD maaa!!!!)

It's tough actually...it needs a really2 tough effort. To tell you the truth, to date I've prepared 3 draft of proposal and still I need to do a lot of ammendmends/changes to convince the selection panels and more importantly to my potential supervisor that my proposal is viable and suitable for a PhD level.

The drafts were then discussed with those who are experts in the field (too many of them... from local Unis and overseas..plus with the never ending story of lots of ammendmends/correction of errors/etc...). The crazy thing is I sent my 2nd draft for my scholarship application but I presented the 3rd draft during my interview session at the Faculty level (Finally, I am more secured with my final draft)

Though I am yet to commit my full-time study..I can really start feeling the tense and the pressure of being a PhD candidate!!!!

Mind you... this is only a TINY tip of a HUGE iceberg.....

5 comments:

  1. Selamat menempuh dunia PhD...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Insyaallah mesti dapat punya... (dekan dah invite I utk join committee). Anyway, tahniah di atas semangat yang tinggi utk buat PhD. Harap Imah juga akan turut sama for the next scholarship..

    ReplyDelete
  3. This a beginning of PhD...(pening??? hantuklah Dinding) life. There are 99 steps to go...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Intan n Zaidi,

    TQ very much for your advice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Salam, Saya Budak Tua MHS..Selamat mnempu dunia Ph anda
    Wassalam

    ReplyDelete